Monday, September 5, 2011

Neither Garbage Nor Rubbish


I'm not sure how to keep the format (double-spacing, etc.) from Pages to here. Anyhow, here it is.


Andy Koenig
Word Count: 896


Throughout Walt Whitman’s poetic masterpiece Leaves of Grass, the reader gets the sense that the author believes he has it all figured out. Line after line, we feel Walt’s swagger, as if he is calling out, “I am America. Do as I say, and become fulfilled.” But along the way, the reader might become irritated. How can this man -- whose writing seems to be mere rambling -- possibly expect that anyone would take his words to heart, let alone read them to begin with? Many people agree with this sentiment. They believe Whitman is cocky, self-centered, and an obsessive patriot. In the end, some might even say it is “rubbish.”
Although his writing might be sporadic, the argument cannot end there. Writing is not just about the words on the page at face value, but about motives and emotions behind those words. So what if instead of looking at just the words on the page, we look at the motives behind the words and the effects afterwards? I believe that if we look deeper into Whitman’s intended influence, there is a lot of truth to be found. I’m not saying that the man is a genius, but we should not dismiss him completely simply because we think he’s unorthodox.
When I first began to read Leaves of Grass, I was bored and confused and did not care much for what Whitman had to say. I think I went into the book thinking that I would be disappointed. I had often heard about what a great book it was, but I’m not one to take suggestions very often. However, I was not going to be dismayed. I did something I rarely do and read the book again. This time, line after line jumped out at me, captured me, and captivated me. By the end, I was speechless. I honestly was not sure how I was supposed to write this essay. I had a million thoughts racing through my head about how brilliant this work was that I did not know where to begin.
For starters, I knew I was impressed with Whitman’s boldness. To me, Whitman’s attitude does not seem selfish, it seems confident, and it is an attitude we should all carry. I had an experience this past summer where some of my coworkers were patronizing me for doing certain things that I enjoy which they considered to be ‘weird,’ such as spending my breaks reading instead of napping. When I was asked why I chose to do these things, I replied, “Because it’s what makes me happy. I do things that make me happy, no matter what other people think.” I think this is similar to what Whitman was implying throughout Leaves of Grass. Do what makes you feel alive. Be happy. Be confident in yourself, even when the world is against you. In Whitman’s words, “Do anything, but let it produce joy.”
It is obvious that Whitman and Leaves of Grass blazed a trail for a new brand of poetry. Before Whitman, we imagine the poets as the educated sages and bards, writing in a standard form for the upper class intellectuals. However, Whitman broke the mold by writing for the ‘everyman’ in a way that was new and unusual, but still understandable. This opened the door for anyone to try to write poetry. Whitman stressed that as long as a person had emotions, experiences, or opinions, they could become a poet. Although proper writing is learned from books, substantial writing that just nails you in the gut comes from the heart. Maybe Whitman did not mean to change the standard for poetry, but I cannot imagine what it would be like if he had not done so.
I believe that even though Whitman’s influence on the art of poetry was great, his message to the nation was much greater. However, the former is more evident than the latter. By this, I mean that while Whitman tried to inspire a nation and future generations to be lovers of freedom, it is something that is often taken for granted or ignored. He wanted his readers to fall in love with America. He wanted them to embrace the American spirit and the idea of individuality. Unfortunately, this is something that the reader often overlooks. If the American population had gotten a better grip on what Whitman had to say, maybe we could be more patriotic, more thankful for our freedom, more individualistic, and more proud of our nation.
I do not believe that just a few hundred words in an essay can do Whitman justice. I believe that what Whitman had to say is much more deserving of a brief summary. Whitman’s work is so unique and superior, that I believe that to give Whitman the credit he is due, I would have to write something that reached beyond what Whitman said and match my actions with Whitman’s words. Practically, he changed the face of American poetry and literature. He genuinely captured the ideal spirit of humanity and described what it takes to live a more fulfilling life. He provoked and continues to provoke discussion and change. I’m not saying the man is worthy of our utmost praise, but he certainly is worthy of more credit than we tend to give him. His writing might have been strange, but that does not mean it is wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Great essay Andy. I think you perfectly articulated Whitman's qualities that make him so unique and a wonderful writer.

    I like how you make the distinction between selishness and confidence. I think that people can confuse both of these things together. His confidence in writing is really a celebration of humanity, not to make himself look great (at least that's what I think he says). Although those ideals can lead to be humanistic which is a tendency he may have.

    You bring up some really good points about Whitman's idea of nationalism and the American spirit. When you say, "unfortunately, this is something that the reader often overlooks," I'm curious to hear your thoughts about whether this is an instance of the selfishness/confidence debate noted previously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first when you called Whitman's work "masterful" I was going to comment and object but then I continued reading and found I agreed with you for the most part (I would not call his work "superior" but it was very well written).

    I agree that Whitman had a "swagger" or "attitude" throughout the book which tended to irritate people (me) but even through the irritation we must realize that he does write well. If he can get such a reaction from the reader he has done his job. I also agree that Whitman was very, very bold and that is something to admire.

    It is a good thing to "embrace the American Spirit" but Whitman offers that idea in such a "perfect-idealistic" way that it seems impossible to achieve. I do agree that we should strive to achieve some of his ideas of the way America should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first began reading your blog I couldn't believe that you actually enjoyed reading Leaves of Grass. But after going through your whole essay my mind was opened to the things you said and even though I'm still not a huge fan of Whitman, your comments made me realize that there really was good material in the poem.
    I agree with what you said about his attitude being confident rather than selfish. So often in our world we mistake confidence for cockiness and get the totally wrong impression about people.
    I also agree with you and Jesse that the America he describes in some ways is one that we should strive for. I don't agree with the humanistic view, but the way he speaks about God and about equality caught my agreeable attention.

    ReplyDelete