Sunday, October 2, 2011

Any Other Way?

Many people have differing opinions on the ending of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Some feel that Tom’s return, which returned the attention to Tom and left Huck in the background, ruined the book while others claim that it was a good ending, that Huck could never be the hero of the story and that Tom needed to return. While I was reading the book I was a little cautious because I had heard these talks of how controversial the ending was and how unhappy people were with the way Twain ended the book. Unfortunately once I finished the book I felt many different emotions. I was on both sides, which I know is not a really understandable answer so let me explain.

I was at first very frustrated with the return of Tom because he completely took over, as usual throughout the novel. He turned the most intense moment of the novel, when Jim is in the cabin awaiting his return to slavery, into a ridiculously long moment of silliness. Instead of the readers experiencing Huck saving his friend Jim, who he bonded with on the river, from his fate they get to hear endless accounts of Tom’s dumb ideas to make this serious moment into a storybook adventure. So I would say that I was incredibly annoyed with Tom but I also realized that Huck could not have taken the “hero” spot in the story because that was not in his character traits nor could Tom have slipped into the background.

Huck was a follower of Tom from the very beginning as proven when they were planning out ways to “kill” people and rob them (pg 37) so if Twain were to suddenly change his behavior patterns just to make the ending perfect for anyone reading is illogical. Twain is very true to his characters and Huck had not matured enough at that point to save Jim. He had a chance to write to Jim’s owner and tell them where Jim was and instead of doing the “more mature” thing he chose to just continue on with his adventure, never owning up to his real life or real problems as you could say. Huck never matured enough to take the lead role in the moment of saving Jim and so Twain had no other choice but to bring in the character that could and would take control. Now since Tom is taking control, let’s not forget he is still a child with a huge imagination and he himself has not matured throughout the novel, and so instead of handling the situation like an adult would he handles it just like he did in the beginning of the novel, in a very childlike way. I think we forget that they are both children and children do not react or handle situations in the same way that adults do. They do not rationalize that Jim is a human being who does not want to go back to slavery and that there could be very serious consequences for Jim instead they see how these moments look like in books and movies and try to emulate them. That is not the mentality of an adult and we as readers I think forget that we are reading it with, hopefully, a matured mindset and we expect rational solutions to problems but that is because we are adults. I think the events at the end of this book may seem to us really dumb and annoying but in reality they represent how little boys truly think, react, and handle most situations. So I am on both sides. Yes, the ending was frustrating and Tom as always will annoy me but I do not see how the novel could have ended any other way. Huck was not at a high maturity level and they were both just kids having fun. Twain is a master at writing and if he as an author can get such a huge reaction from his ending then he has truly done his job as a writer.

6 comments:

  1. Jesse, I agree that Huck doesn't always look ahead to see if the choices he makes will bring a good or bad outcome. However, I would have to disagree with you about calling both Huck and Jim "children". Throughout the book I see Jim not only as a friend, but as a protector and guide for Huck. I agree somewhat with Toni Morrison on the point to she makes on page 309 in the case study, where she says Huck's maturity growth has a lot to do with Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In short response I do not think Jim was a child...Tom and Huck were the children in the story. Jim was a friend and guide for Huck. Huck did mature through his experiences with Jim I just believe he did not mature enough to take the hero role at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you seem to agree with Trilling and Eliot that Huck is not properly the "hero," and you see some realistic justification for the childish pranks of the end, but you're still not entirely happy with the book as a whole, I sense. I agree that things turn weird right where you say they do, and for similar reasons, but I wonder if Huck is really ever quite a child in the same way Tom is. That is, even from the beginning he questions and critiques Tom. He serves as the voice of the reader, calling out the impractical and absurd, while Tom comically shakes his head and laments his friend's "ignorance."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the ending reminds us that Tom and Huck are still children. It does frustrate me though that after all of the maturation that Huck has done throughout the rest of the novel is completely negated when Tom comes back.
    I know several people, children and adults, who can mature or make good decisions in one setting, but then become so completely influenced by someone that all of their change goes out the window. I think that's my frustration with the ending - the fact that Huck thinks so little of himself and so highly of Tom that he would participate in the incredibly stupid plan that Tom comes up with to "free" Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to post earlier, but it got eaten. So here's the truncated version.
    I agree that Huck isn't mature *enough* to set Jim free on his own. He does plan and attempt to carry out a rescue attempt to free Jim from the Phelps', but I find it unlikely that Huck would set Jim free to take him back home. He'd likely just want to be on the raft again, same as always.
    On the other hand, Tom brings news of Miss Watson's death, and Huck knows the raft isn't the be-all-end-all any more -- Jim can go home, so one more adventure can't hurt. I think this is where we see Huck's continued immaturity, even though I believe that he's changed from his maturity in the beginning at least in regards to perceiving Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ending just frustrated me as a whole. I feel it made a mockery out of Jim and out of Huck. I know we have talked a lot about how Huck could not take on the hero role at the end of the novel because that is not in his nature, but I say why not? Huck came through as a hero at other places in the novel. Huck was always coming up with inventive ideas of getting out of things or by lying his way through. He was always thinking on the spot.

    I feel adding Tom back into the picture was almost more of a twist in the story rather than something to be expected. Huck would have been perfectly capable of escaping with Jim, but where would the novel have led to if that was the case? I almost feel as if Twain brought Tom back in the picture, because otherwise the story with Huck and Jim would be never-ending. They had adventure after adventure, and so I do see how bringing Tom back in the novel neatly ties all the loose ends together. However, I do believe Huck was strong enough to be the hero in the end of the book. Although, Huck would not have even seen himself as the hero. It would have been seen as another Huck and Jim team effort.

    ReplyDelete