Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"One man's trash is another man's treasure"

Science - State Goal 13: Understand the relationships among science, technology and society in historical and contemporary...

So much depends upon

A red wheelbarrow

Glazed with rain water

Beside the white chickens

“What could possibly depend upon a wheelbarrow? Wheelbarrows aren’t even that useful!” When I first read this poem in high school, these were my thoughts on this work by William Carlos Williams. This poem was assigned to me for a poetry project in my AP English class and I had no idea what I was going to present on so I went searching for answers from my other English teachers.

Because I feel that most people have the same view as I did when they first read this poem, I’d like to share what my teacher, Ms. Scholten, shared with me and the analysis of the symbolism that we did together. (Don't worry Dr. Fruhauff, this is not a "copy and paste an essay from High School" type of thing. I don't even have the essay from high school saved.)

What could possibly depend upon a wheelbarrow? Imagine a farmhouse in which a fatally ill child is confined to bed with one window in the room, overlooking this scene described in the poem.

Beginning with the second line, we see symbols of life. Red is the color of life – blood, when red, contains oxygen which is a necessary part of human life. Red also is a symbol for passion – without passion, life does not feel as if it is worth living. So in this small three letter word, we already see how this poem might have more depth than meets the eye. The wheel of the wheelbarrow represents the circle of life and is a reminder that life continues. In the third line the word glazed also points us to the theme of life. When I think of the word glazed (besides thinking of Kwik Trip donuts) I think of glazed over eyes. Glazed eyes are full of life but in death, eyes are dull, cold and empty. Rain is cleansing, life-giving water –spring brings plants and flowers that come to new life because of the rain. In the last line, the chickens are intentionally described as white because white is the color of purity and new life. The chickens also represent life in a more physical way than the rest of the symbols –they are the one thing that is actually living and breathing in this farmyard scene.

Think back to the farmhouse scene that we discussed earlier –this dying child, who may be running out of the will to live sees this scene outside the window. The child looks at all of these symbols of life –the color red, the wheel, the glaze of rainwater, the color white, and the chickens –and suddenly realizes that life still exists amidst the small confines of his or her space. This scene is an encouragement to the child to keep pursuing life – that life is not over –it still exists abundantly even right there in that small farm yard. This scene gives the child will to keep fighting the disease because life is still worth living.

So even if nothing in our life depends upon red wheelbarrow glazed with rain water beside some white chickens, this scene could mean the world to another person. “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” When reading over this poem quickly without thinking of its symbolism or meaning, we might think it is garbage. But if we were that small ill child, we would be treasuring it and holding onto the hope that is written in those 15 short words.

As with any interpretation of something, I can’t be positive that this meaning was the author’s intent but because he starts off with the line “So much depends upon,” I can’t help but think that he meant this poem to be worth so much more than its face value. I hope this description of the symbolism used and the scenario in which something would depend upon this scene helps you to better understand and also enjoy the poem as much as I have since learning about it in high school.

7 comments:

  1. Not all of the paragraph indentations were converted and the blog won't allow me to put them in, so I apologize for any confusion that creates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessa, while I understand your caution about imposing an interpretation on the poem, I do appreciate how you've taken each aspect and most of the words to express the symbolism you see.
    I tend to think of it in another way. If "so much depends upon" it, it feels like the life of the farm is dependent on rain, the work of the wheelbarrow, and the livestock of the chickens. But then again, I grew up in farm country, so my view on things is a little out there (pun intended).
    I remember reading this for Poetry with Baxter and liking the imagery as well, so I'm not surprised that you've encountered it before too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that "Red Wheelbarrow" most likely carries with it a meaning deeper than its surface appearance. While your exposition is a plausible one, it seems to me to tend a bit toward isogesis. While symbolism is a valid tool for both writing and interpreting poetry, I personally think that we'd need a bit more indication from the text about what various items may represent before assuming what they signify.
    As far as I can tell, Williams didn't grow up in rural areas, so I wonder if we know of an event in his life that might shed some light on the poem's meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your analysis of the poem Jessa. Actually, when I was in high school, a similar analysis was brought up. When the poem is thought of as a sick child inside peering out the window at these items, the poem does receive a whole lot more meaning. And even though the poem is short, the image of the red wheel barrow with rain water next to white chickens is a clear image in my mind. I think of a wet Spring day. There is so much hope in Spring and therefore I sense hope from the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This interpretation is very similar to the one used in Studies in Poetry when I took it, though I can't remember if Roberts or Baxter used it. This poem is certainly vivid, and I think there may be a deeper meaning. However, outside of the story of the sick child, I can't guess what it might be. I suppose the meaning of this poem depends on what Williams means by his phrase "so much."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazz, I too grew up in farm country so I appreciate your take on the poem. I never thought of it that way. Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your post a very helpful perspective on the poem Jessa. I tend to read the poem as something as a statement of the type of imagery that Williams thinks most important: the simplicity and "matter-of-factness."

    If that is the case then the wheelbarrow is not necessarily pastoral, but a tool to help slightly ease the heavy workload of a farmer or such. It is the kind of image that Williams thinks much depends upon. "No ideas but in things."

    ReplyDelete